Friday, January 20, 2012

Health and Safety:
Bilharzia (Schistosomiasis):
This disease is spread by worms that are spread in
freshwater or slow running rivers. Swimming or paddling in these places should be avoided. This is needed in Africa because you can’t check the water.

Cholera: Mainly a concern when a natural disaster has struck. This virus is caused by bacteria in the drinking water. It is important for me to only drink clean water while I am in Africa.

Diphtheria: Caused by close respiratory contact. This disease is found in all of Africa. This vaccine is recommended for me because I will be staying with locals in close contact and they have the possibility of being infected. This vaccine can be taken with tetras.

Hepatitis A: Hepatitis A is a swelling of the liver. You can get this virus if you each or drink something that has the virus in it. Also occurs if you come in contact with the blood of the person who already has hepatitis A. This is recommended for all travelers because the virus is everywhere. I already have one because you have to get it in grade 8.

Hepatitis B: Similar to hepatitis A, hepatitis B is the swelling of the liver. You can get it through blood transfusions. As well you can get it through shared needles and personal items such as toothbrushes, razors and nail clippers. This vaccine is recommended for all travelers.

HIV: This is spread through blood to blood contact. There is no cure but I can be cautious by not using needles that others have used and not have sexual intercourse while in Africa.

Malaria: This is spread by a parasite which travels with female mosquito. There is no cure but you can get medicine to prevent it. This is more common in Kenya in the rainy season which I will be in part of the trip meaning that I have to be more careful about getting mosquito bites.

Meningococcal Meningitis: Contacted through close respiratory contact most likely in crowded
areas. The vaccine is recommended for long stays and I should get this because there are a lot of people in Kenya.

Poliomyelitis: This is spread by contaminated food and water products. I already have this because you get it when you are young. I might have to get it updated though.

Rabies: This disease is spread by the saliva of infected animals. This is mainly found in wild animals because house pets have their vaccines. If you are a traveller that will be spending a
lot of time outside then it is recommended that you take the vaccine before you go. Also it is recommended for travelling to Kenya because there are no house pets only wild animals.

Traveler’s Diarrhea: This is a health issue found when you travel anywhere not just Kenya. This can be triggered by diet changes. Make sure that the food that you eat is cooked right through and that the utensils and dishes that you eat off of/with are not dirty.

Tuberculosis(TB): Again this is spread through respiratory contact. I should get this vaccine because I will be travelling in close contact to the local people. The vaccine should be given to people traveling to developing countries.

Typhoid: Typhoid fever is an infection that causes diarrhea and rashes. This disease is spread through contaminated food and drink and is a form of bacteria.It is especially important for me to get this vaccination because typhoid is more common in developing countries.

Yellow Fever: Yellow fever is transmitted by mosquitoes. This vaccine is recommended for all travellers over nine months of age. I should take this vaccine because I have a higher risk of being bitten by a mosquito in Africa.

Insect’s bites and stings: I will bring insect repellent along with me to prevent bugs wanting to be near me.

Water: Make sure that all the water that I drink is clean and boiled. I won’t drink tap water and I will make sure that bottled water is resalable.

No comments:

Post a Comment