Friday, January 20, 2012

Culture Shock: The stages of culture shock that I am going to experience are:
Honeymoon phase: This is when everything looks nice and pretty. You are in awe of everything see and everything is new and exciting. I think I will enjoy the colour and culture in Kenya. The colours of the Maasai people are bright and welcoming and different then the colours that you see in Canada.

Negotiation Phase: A few weeks into your trip you will start to feel like you are missing your own lifestyle and food. I believe that I will miss foods like maple syrup and my milk. I know that I will miss my family and friends and being able to spend time with them. Things in Kenya that will seem different to me are collecting water and the houses. The Maasai women collect water each day and then carry it back to their houses. I think that I will find this task to be hard and frustrating and it might make me mad and feel like wanting to go home. I feel that the houses will become small and cramped and that there are too many people in one space when before I found that neat and something new.

Adjustment phase: In this phase things that used to seem weird and different from back home will become normal. This will happen to me on my trip because I will be in Kenya for so long. Things that I found different like collecting water are normal, fun and part of my everyday life. The house has become interesting and so much easier to clean then my house at home. I
now love to live here and experience all the things that they call normal.

Reverse Culture Shock: This occurs when you return home. You go through the steps above only in a place you have grown up with your whole life. The internet and seeing my friends will be fun but I will miss the Maasai family that I stayed with. I will also find it different that I can just turn on the tap and get drinkable water. When I come home my house will seem big and unnecessary after living in smaller courters for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment